The semi-vegetarian Flexitarian Diet focuses on healthy plant proteins and other whole, minimally processed plant-based foods but encourages meat and animal products in moderation.
Eating flexitarian may aid weight loss and reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer and type 2 diabetes. It may even be good for the planet.
However, planning your flexitarian food choices well is important to prevent nutritional deficiencies and reap the most health benefits.
This one-week meal plan provides you with the ideas you need to start eating flexitarian.
- Breakfast: Steel-cut oats with apples, milled flaxseed and cinnamon.
- Lunch: Salad with greens, shrimp, corn, black beans and avocado.
- Dinner: Lentil soup with whole-grain bread and a side salad.
- Breakfast: Whole-grain toast with avocado and poached eggs.
- Lunch: Burrito bowl with brown rice, beans and vegetables.
- Dinner: Zucchini noodles with tomato sauce and white beans.
- Breakfast: Coconut yogurt with bananas and walnuts.
- Lunch: Whole-grain wrap with hummus, vegetables and chickpeas.
- Dinner: Grilled salmon, baked sweet potato and green beans.
- Breakfast: Smoothie made with unsweetened almond milk, spinach, peanut butter and frozen berries.
- Lunch: Kale Caesar salad with lentils and tomato soup.
- Dinner: Baked chicken, quinoa and roasted cauliflower.
- Breakfast: Greek yogurt with blueberries and pumpkin seeds.
- Lunch: Chard wraps with mixed veggies and peanut dipping sauce.
- Dinner: Lentil stew and a side salad.
- Breakfast: Over-easy eggs with sauteed veggies and fruit salad.
- Lunch: Peanut butter sandwich with crushed berries on whole-grain bread.
- Dinner: Black bean burgers with avocado and sweet potato fries.
- Breakfast: Tofu scramble with mixed veggies and spices.
- Lunch: Quinoa salad with dried cranberries, pecans and feta cheese.
- Dinner: Stuffed bell peppers with ground turkey and a side salad.
Eating a flexitarian diet is about limiting the consumption of meat and animal products while focusing on nutritious plant-based foods. Some people may choose to eat more or fewer animal products than shown in the above meal plan.
This one-week meal plan provides meal ideas to get you started with flexitarian eating. Depending on your preferences, you may choose to take away or add more animal products.